Friday, January 4, 2008

J.D. Concussion

So, I just got back from taking J.D. to the ER for a concussion. He was laying on the back of the couch (something I have repeatedly told him not to do) and he fell off. My mom and I heard a load crack as his head hit the laminate wood floor. He started to cry and would not calm down. Then he got up to walk around and he was weaving and tripping and told me he was dizzy. He then laid down on the couch and immediately fell asleep. All of this concerned me so I called the on-call doctor (it was about 6:00 p.m.--do any of these things ever happen during regular office hours?). He told me to take J.D. to the ER if he was overly sleepy, dizzy, acting strange, and vomiting.

J.D. continued to sleep a lot and act strange, but he perked up a little and I had almost decided not to take him in when he vomited. So I took him in and they did a CT scan to make sure it was nothing more than a concussion. They gave him medicine for the vomiting and since the CT scan was normal we were able to come home. This is great timing since his birthday is on Saturday and he was supposed to take cupcakes to school tomorrow to celebrate. Oh well--at least he is well and it wasn't something worse.

So--for all you moms out there, now you know what to expect if your child gets a concussion!

1 comment:

Lorena said...

How scary! I am glad that everything went well. I LOVE your new blog...now I can keep up with you!