Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pumpcumbers Anyone?

Being the amateur gardener that I am, I didn't realize that when I planted vegetables from the same family in the same area of the garden they could cross-pollenate. So, in the area where I planted a pumpkin vine and cucumber seeds, this is what grew:



Inside they look mostly like cucumbers and they taste mostly like cucumbers, just slightly more bitter.

Anybody have any good cucumber recipes that would work for my boatloads of pumpcumbers? I would hate for them to go to waste!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

The only thing I do with a cucumber is put it in a salad but that wouldn't be as good if they're bitter. They're awesome looking though! I'm really excited because I think I might actually get a zuchinni this year! (I know everyone jokes about how easy they are to grow but I have a hard time with them.)

Rachel said...

Perhaps Grandma Swapp's bread and butter pickle recipe would be worth a try. I bet the bitterness would be a nice touch to the pickles.

chelon:) said...

that is fabulous!! i love it ;) unfortunately, i don't have any good recipes...just look at it as buying and throwing away really cheap seeds!! or carve them :)

Jeannie said...

I like Chelon's idea! You could also have a pumpcumber smashing party hehe :)

Bart said...

I think the mcculloch family has the right idea.

Or, you could make pumpcumber pie.

[Your answers were more impressive than mine, and I'm glad you mentioned your blog - I hadn't come across it before!]

Emily said...

Oh, come on! You've got to get a couple of friends and dress up for the "party"! It will make for some great pictures for your blog. Come on, get girly for the night! You'll be happy you did, right?

Meredith said...

That is so funny! How about a fresh tomato/cucumber/pumpcumber salad?

Jessica said...

Gosh, I didn't know veggies would spontaneously cross-pollinate like that either! Strange mutant beast. :0)