Monday, October 6, 2008

Doesn't God Love All the States?

When J.D. started kindergarten over a month ago, I was reading the Parent Handbook from the school district and noticed it said something about the students saying the pledge of allegience to the United States and Texas flags every day. It peaked my interest that Texas had a separate pledge of allegience (but didn't really surprise me), so the next time my nanny, Katrina, came over I asked her about it since she grew up in Texas. She told me that yes, there was a Texas pledge of allegience, but she couldn't really remember what it said.

Then a few weeks ago I started going one morning a week to do a little blurb on the televised elementary school news about the PTA Reflections program. Each morning, they say the two pledges of allegience and so I learned what the Texas pledge of allegience actually says (could have googled it sooner if I had wanted, but I didn't).

So, here it is:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Tonight at dinner, since I had just been at the school this morning on the news, I was asking J.D. if he remembered what the Texas pledge of allegience was and then I was telling Jim exactly what it said. When I got finished J.D. piped in, "Why does it say, 'one state under God,' doesn't God love all the states?" After Jim and I finished laughing, we tried to explain to J.D. that yes, God loves all the states, and we don't know why the pledge says that.

Interestingly, when I googled the Texas pledge, the Texas State Library site says that the part about "one state under God" was only added to the pledge within the past couple of years. Gotta love the super proud Texans!!!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Hmmm...I grew up in Texas and have never heard of a state Pledge of Allegiance til now. Weird!

Meredith said...

No wonder Texans have such a superiority complex - they are indoctrinated from a very early age!

Kami R said...

That's such a J.D. thing to say!

Emily said...

Interesting. I wonder if there are other states that have their own states pledge of allegience.