Some toddlers have a hard time enunciating their words so you can understand them. They usually leave off consonants at the end of words. For example, "toast" is "toes" or "eat" is "eee." Joey has the opposite issue. He likes to add consonants to the end of words where they are not needed. He usually adds a "t" or a "d" sound or both. For example, "water" is "waterdt" and "coal" is "coalt." There are many examples. However, it is funniest when he adds these letters to the end of names. There is a character on Thomas named "Trevor" that is a tractor and Joey has always called him "Trevort." Yesterday we had some friends over who have a son named Trevor. Trevor did something that Joey didn't like and Joey was running around saying "Don't do that Trevort!" It was pretty hilarious. So next time your toddler says, "coa" instead of "coat"--just think, he could be calling you "Mommyt."
P.S. I had to look up the spelling of the word "enunciation" because I thought is was spelled "annunication." Turns out the definition of "annunciation" is "to announce." I now remember that all of those paintings I studied in college called the "Annunciation" were of the Angel Gabriel announcing Jesus' birth. However, I think I may have been misspelling "enunciation" for years. You learn something new every day!
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment