Thursday, October 1, 2009

Service for Estela

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine (Estela) who has been the same ward as us for a couple of years, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from an infection. She leaves a husband and three children (12, 9, and 5). When I first heard the news, I was very shocked and sad. I have only lost a few friends close to my age in my life and never a friend who was also a mother. In the days before her funeral, I was thinking about whether I should send flowers or make a donation in her honor or what I could do to honor her and let her family know of our support and love for them. As I was thinking about it, I realized that Estela would want me to find a way to serve others rather than spend money on her. Then, at her funeral, her husband asked that those in attendance not only help her family, but others also because that is the legacy that Estela left her family--to serve others.

So, for the past couple of weeks, I have been thinking about doing a food drive in her honor for our local food bank. Finally, I am putting it together. If you are local and would like to donate food, the following items are needed:

Canned vegetables (corn, peas)
Canned soup
Canned beans (green, black, ranch, refried, pork 'n beans, baked)
Canned tuna, meat, stews
Breakfast cereal
Pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, lasagna)
Peanut butter
Baby food and formula
Toilet paper
Toiletry items such as shampoo and soap

I will put a box on my front porch for anyone to leave items. I will be collecting items until October 14.

If you are local and want to donate items, but don't know where I live, e-mail me at jodyjimc[at]gmail[dot]com. If you aren't local and would still like to participate with a monetary donation, you can also e-mail me.

A blog has been set up to give people ideas of service to do in Estela's honor and to chronicle that service for her family and friends. To see the blog, go here.

No comments: