Thursday, February 28, 2008

24 Hours Without the Internet is TOO Long

Our Internet went out yesterday afternoon and we didn't get it back until 24 hours later. I didn't realize how much I was dependant on it until I didn't have it. Here are some of the things that inconvenienced me:

1. I had to actually use the phone book to look up the Cable company's phone number to call about the problem (I ended up calling three times, but by then the number was in my cell phone memory, so I didn't have to look it up again).

2. I couldn't enter my Weight Watchers points or look up the point values of the foods I wanted to eat.

3. My kids said a couple of funny things and I couldn't record them on my blog. (And now I can't remember them--could have gotten a pen and paper and written them down for later, but didn't.)

4. No checking my gmail e-mail! (I did however still get my work e-mails on my Blackberry.)

5. I couldn't file a document in federal court in Arizona.

6. J.D. complained about not being able to play Nick Jr. and Disney.

7. I couldn't spend (or waste) time reading other people's blogs.

8. I couldn't check my bank account balances and pay bills.

9. I couldn't check the weather for the next day to know what J.D. would need to wear for school.

and, finally,

10. Jim and I couldn't do our typical evening TV watching/laptop working ritual.

But, we survived and probably could again (although I hope it isn't anytime soon!).

3 comments:

Janssen said...

Ugh, I'd be a drooling whimpering mess if our internet was out that long.

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh - the ONLY time we cracked open a phone book in this house was the time Steve was setting up our wireless network and we were moving stuff all around...he needed one more part and needed to know where the nearest Comp USA or whatever was. I then HAD to use a phone book! It was too weird...I think I would die at 24 hours no internet! Or, maybe find out that I wouldn't die...

Jamie said...

Feel the same way. I also detest when Merril leaves his cell phone at home because I think, "Oh, I'll call him and let him know he left his cell phone."