J.D. has shown us at such a young age that he is a pretty good artist. Because of that (and not to mention the fact that I was the PTA Reflections Chair for the school), I urged him to draw a picture for the PTA Reflections contest. His hastily-drawn picture of an astronaut (at least I thought he should have spent more time on it), won an Award of Excellence at the school level and advanced on to the District competition.

At the District Competition, he won an Honorable Mention. He and I attended the award ceremony tonight so he could receive his ribbon and certificate.

I was so proud of him for walking across the stage by himself and clearly saying his name and school. Here is the video clip (especially for the grandparents). Excuse the filming, since I had the video camera in one hand and the still camera in the other. At the end of the clip, the audience is laughing because J.D. finished talking and stood there smiling, not quite sure what he should do next.
Then, he surprised me again with his artistic talent when we sat down to eat our refreshments and I looked over and saw a display of artwork from his school. (The Awards Ceremony was held at the District Performing Arts Center where the District has a display of artwork from different schools that it rotates.) I told J.D. to look at the art that kids from his school had done and he said, "Look, Mom, there is my picture." Sure enough, his art teacher had selected his "self-portrait," which he drew after first tracing his hands and feet, to display. It was the only Kindergarten piece on display from his school. Here is a picture of him with his picture.

Here is a close-up of his "self-portrait."

I am excited to see what the future holds for our budding artist!
4 comments:
L LOVE his self portrait - make sure you get a hold of that and frame it! I love little artists!
That is awesome! That really is a great picture he drew! I think I told you I used to be a teacher and that is one of the best I've ever seen for that age! Congratulations on your little artist!
That is so fun to see our kids start taking an interest in things. I am glad I found your blog. Fun to keep up with you
Julie
Go J.D.; I love his artwork!
Post a Comment