We had a pretty big storm last night (including the first Tornado Warning since we moved to Texas--for those of you who have never lived in a tornado zone, a tornado watch means they think there is a small chance of a tornado happening and a tornado warning is more serious so batten down the hatches--thanks for clearing that up for me
Holly I had them confused before). I actually left to go walking at about 8:30 p.m. As I was leaving, Jim mentioned that there was a tornado warning, but it was nice outside, not windy, not much lightening or thunder. I rode my bike over to my friend Christy's house and we took off. However, when we were about 3/4 of the way through the loop we walk we started to hear rolling thunder (I've never heard constant thunder that just kept going in a dull roar without stopping), saw more lightening, and started to hear hail hitting the ground (it wasn't very much or very big and didn't really hit us). However, just as we got back to her street, the hail picked up. We jogged the rest of the way to see her husband coming out to look for us, so I left my bike at their house and he gave me a ride home. Just as I got home (at about 9:30 p.m), it really started to hail. The hail hitting our house was about the size of marbles and it seemed like a bunch of marbles hitting the windows--I was afraid they would break. Here is what our deck looked like during the hailstorm:

(Disclaimer: I had to take this picture with the night setting on my camera, which requires a steady hand, and through the window, so it is a little blurry).
Joey slept through all of this. Jake and J.D. were a little scared--especially because the power blinked off and on a couple of times. However, when I got them each a flashlight to have in their beds, they were happy. In fact, J.D. told me that tonight he wanted to pretend that there was a storm so he and Jake could have the flashlights in their beds again.
I was really worried about what the hail did to the fledgling plants in my garden. When I went out to check today, it wasn't too bad. These are the plants that fared the worst:
Spinach (but I think I also have some bugs eating the leaves too)

These tomatoes have some niks in them.
These weren't damaged, but they are almost ripe!
The parsley was smashed!!!
The sunflowers were hammered.
A small pepper fell off the plant.
3 comments:
that was a way crazy storm. i am glad that your garden faired ok. my front plants didn't do so well!!
I am so glad that your plants didn't have to get uprooted like mine did.
Oh, I wanted to tell you that its actually the other way around. Watch means the weather is favorable for producing a tornado, and to keep watching for it, while a Warning means there has already been a tornado sighted and is coming so take shelter immediately if you are in the warning area. I wanted to clear that up since the difference between the two is pretty big.
That weather was sure scary!! I am glad none of us were in harm's way. Thank goodness!
Yikes! For your safety, please don't go for a bike ride in a tornado warning again! That is so scary!
Post a Comment