Tuesday, May 6, 2008

W-H-Y???

I was watching Oprah the other day and Sarah Jessica Parker was on talking about her new movie and she was talking about her 5 1/2 year old son, James Wilke. Her son was born within weeks of my son, James Davis (a.k.a. J.D.), so whenever I've heard stuff in the news about him, I've somehow felt a kinship and it is easy for me to remember how old he is. But, I digress.

Anyway, Sarah Jessica Parker was talking about how having a conversation with her son sometimes gets very in depth (and frustrating) because one question leads to another and never ends. The example she gave was the following:

J.W.: "Why doesn't the Lego company make _______ toys?"
S.J.: "Because the Lego engineers decided not to."
J.W.: "Why did they decide not to? Don't they know that boys like those?"
S.J.: "I don't know why they decided not to."
etc.

This definitely sounded familar to me, especially after the exchange I had with J.D. today:

J.D.: "Mommy, why _________ [I don't remember what the question was that started this]?"
Me: "I don't know why, J.D."
J.D.: "Why don't you know why?"
Me: "Because I don't know why. Why do you keep asking why?"
J.D.: "Because why is spelled W-H-Y, that's why."

No comments: