Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Birth Control Advice from a Six-Year-Old

For the last few months, J.D. has been asking me questions about where babies come from. He already has a pretty good understanding of what happens inside the Mommy to make a baby (a part from Mommy and a part from Daddy come together to make a seed that grows into a baby, etc.) He has asked me before how the part from Daddy gets into Mommy to make the seed that grows into a baby and I was able to distract him and change the subject.

(To get the punch line at the end of this post, you have to know that our kitchen table seats six, but has two leaves that we can put in to make it bigger. We recently had family in town and a birthday party, so we made the table bigger to fit more people, but after they left we made it small again.)

Today when J.D. asked me about how the part from Daddy gets inside Mommy, I had an answer ready and I told him that Mommies and Daddies do a special kind of hug and that is how the part from Daddy gets inside Mommy. After I told him that, he said sternly, "Don't ever do that again or else we will have to make the table bigger all the time."

4 comments:

Bart said...

This had me laughing out loud in the business computer lab at school. Priceless.

Rachel said...

You'll have to remind him of that little blurb when he gets old enough to date. In front of his date, of course... What are parents for if not to embarrass their children with an innocent reminiscent of their early years? ;-D

Bonnie said...

I thought he was going to compare your baby to the leaf in your table, I was a little worried. But it's good at this age that even the vaguest of answers satisfy them. I don't envy your future conversations!

Krista said...

Ha, ha, ha...that's so cute! I wasn't as creative as you were when Alex started asking in depth questions, so he pretty much knows the "whole" story. He didn't look too shell-shocked when I told him, but you never know what is going on under the surface. :) That's a great story!