Monday, March 24, 2008

The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden

There is a song that the kids learn at church called, "The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden." I always think of that song when I look out my kitchen window and see my garden plot filled with weeds. Until we moved into this house, I always had a good excuse not to try growing food--no place to do it, too hot, etc. Now I have no excuse because the house came with a garden area and fruit trees. (Last year my excuse was that I just had a baby.)

Since it is spring and the time to plant, we decided to try growing some stuff this year. We went to the garden store and bought some seeds and plants and spent most of Saturday clearing out the weeds. (The weather was perfect, so that made it nice.) The boys had tons of fun "helping." We didn't have time to plant, yet, but because of daylight savings time (which I usually hate), we will be able to do it during the week this week.



Jake sitting in the pile of weeds.
Jim had a great time trying to put the weeds in bags with all of the "help" from the boys.

The empty garden plot.

J.D. and Jake, raking and hoeing the dirt.

Joey, checking out the tomato vine cages (or whatever they are called).

4 comments:

chelon:) said...

what a cool garden area...i am soo jealous! i know where to go when the world comes to an end :)

Sheyenne said...

Chelon, I'm so jealous as well! We built a little 8x4' garden area this year and I was so pleased with that, but now I'm green with envy! What a wonderful spot. Hope you get lots of cool stuff growing.

Jeannie said...

Very cool - Gardening is so much fun!!! I love your awesome fenced in garden!!!

Jamie said...

Wow! That plot looks awesome! Good luck! I rented a book from the library called "Gardening in the Desert." I'm hoping to have better luck with my garden this year.