I have never been a green thumb. I have had a few house plants over the years, but none have lasted for more than a couple of years (and I'm sure these were the most hardy ones). When we moved about 18 months ago I didn't bring any of our surviving houseplants with us. Even my mother-in-law knows how bad I am at keeping plants alive and made sure she got me the most hardy house plant around when Joey was born:
(It is still alive, Lynn!)
I have also never been good at gardening. When we had classes about it at Enrichment at church, I wasn't really interested. However, when we moved into this house with a yard ready-made with fruit trees and a garden plot, I became an accidental gardener.
I became interested in what to plant, when to plant, how much to water. I go out every day and look at my plants to see what has grown. I get excited about every little blossom and growing fruit and vegetable. I look forward to weeding (even though it took almost three hours last time and I got a nice sunburn). I don't mind digging with the worms:
I even bought some cute gardening Crocs that I can hose the mud off when I come in:
(J.D. helped me pick them out and insisted on buying the sunflower Jiblets to put on them.)
Here is what we have so far this year:
Tomato blossoms
Little Green Tomatoes
Carrots
Bell Peppers Bird nest we found in one of the grape vines.
Peaches (already victims to the birds--need to go to the nursery tomorrow to get nets for the trees)
Spinach (sort of hard to tell it apart from the weeds).
Pomegranate blossoms
Orange blossoms
Cucumbers
I forgot to take a picture of the broccoli, but will next time as the garden grows.
5 comments:
Jody, I can't even tell you how jealous I am of your garden and especially your fruit trees. Oh how I covet your yard! I planted a couple of tomato plants and a couple green peppers, and I thought they were doing okay, but yours look much bigger, so now I'm not so sure! Also, you may already know this, but that "worm" in your picture is actually a grub, and they'll eat the roots of your plants. Squash those suckers! You can also buy grub killer, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to use it in vegetable gardens. We've used it before when they've killed large patches of our grass.
what an amazing garden!! you need to have a salsa party or something when the plants have grown...to show off your new green thumb!! nice job :)
Your garden looks beautiful. I've been meaning to blog about Crocs because they are hideous and yet so comfortable I wear them everywhere. Somehow, the sunflowers do help.
Also, yeah. The secretary's day comments were awful.
Wow - I heard you guys talking about this at music class and had to see if for myself!! I want a garden - but I think I'll wait and see how you do it - then you can give me tips!!
Wow - I am jealous! My girls want to garden so bad and we have done a little in pots. They want a big square of wood with dirt in it. We planted flowers in pots the other day after school and that was about all I can handle right now! And that required a trip to Sonic for a Strawberry Limeade to make it through!
Post a Comment