Thursday, April 24, 2008

Double-Double Ear Infection

Yesterday and mostly last night J.D. was complaining that his ear hurt. He hasn't had an ear infection since he was three, so I called the doctor first thing this morning so I could take him in. They told me to come in, so we all got ready and I got over there as fast as I could (an hour and 15 minutes later--we all had to get dressed and eat breakfast). As I was getting Joey ready he seemed kindof grouchy and his nose was constantly running--I thought he was almost over the cold he got almost two weeks ago. When we got there, the doctor checked out J.D. and he has an ear infection. Almost as an afterthought I had her check Joey too. He has a double ear infection! We packed up our prescriptions and headed out to the drive-through pharmacy. (I guess I should have had her check Jake while I was there, just to avoid another trip, but he has had no signs of one, so I didn't. Guess we'll see if I am at urgent care on Saturday since Jake NEVER NEVER NEVER shows symptoms of an ear infection during the week.) Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and they will both be happier soon.

This whole episode reminded me of the time I myself had an ear infection a few years ago when Jake was a baby. A couple of days before a scheduled well-baby check for Jake (I think it was his 2-month check-up), two-year-old J.D. started acting grouchy and showing signs of an ear infection (up in the night, slight fever, general crankiness). I called our family doctor's office and asked if they could check J.D.'s ears while I was already in for the well-baby check. The front office was sort of rude about it, but the nurse okayed it with the doctor and we were good to go. Then that same day, my ear was hurting and my whole head felt congested like it was going to explode. So, I called again to see if the doctor could check me out while I was already there. Again, the front dest was rude about it, but the nurse said it was okay. However, I knew the doctor herself (mother of two) did not care and was totally sympathetic when we walked back and she pretended to be on a PA system saying, "Corbett, party of three; Corbett, party of three." (Jake was fine and both J.D. and I had ear infections.) Now, when my kids have ear infections I am totally sympathetic since I know what it feels like and it is NOT fun!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Oh, I don't envy my friends who struggle with ear infections!!! More power to ya'll!!!! Get better soon!