Thursday, August 28, 2008

J.D.'s First Day of School!!!

Tuesday was J.D.'s first day of Kindergarten. (Finally!! For all you non-Texans who have had your kids in school for weeks, I was not very happy to learn that the Texas Legislature passed a bill last session requiring that school cannot start before the last week of August, which therefore requires that we always will have school for a week or more in June). J.D. has to be at the school by 7:25 a.m., so this is going to be quite an adjustment for our night-owl family. (He goes all day until 2:45 p.m.)

Here is a picture of him the night before school started with his first homework--he had to decorate and cut out a paper Teddy Bear. He chose to color his just like his Snugly Teddy Bear and I had to convince him to glue buttons and a ribbon on so there would be more to it than just coloring. He did a great job of making it look just like his teddy bear, though.

He was so excited to take his Racer Car (what our boys call the Disney Cars movie) backpack and Racer Car lunchbox and Wall-E rest towel and head off for his first day. (I'm not sure what is up with the look on his face, but he really was happy to be headed to school. Also, he is wearing the tag that all Kindergartners have to wear so the teacher knows what they are doing for lunch and how they are begin picked up from school.)
Here he is leaving the cafeteria with his class. His school has everyone meet their class in the cafeteria, then they leave the parents behind and walk to their classroom together. He isn't crying like some of the kids, but I started to get a little emotional when I was leaving him (which isn't usually like me). I guess it is quite a momentous day to send your first child to Kindergarten, though (even when he has already gone to 2 1/2 years of preschool).


So far, he is loving school and has had mostly good experiences. He did leave his lunchbox at school the first day, but we were able to go back and find it in his classroom, so all was well!

2 comments:

Holly and Brad said...

Congrats on getting through that first day! I am POSITIVE I am going to be a wreck. 7:25-2:45 is a LONG day for Kindergarten. We used to only go half days in Katy. Yikes!

Stephanie T said...

Yeah, he made it through the first week! I get emotional every first day (make that week:-) of school and this is my 5th year. And it gets worse each year. But I think that has more to do with that they keep getting more and more fun to be around so it gets more and more sad. Although I just tell my kids it is because I have loved them for that much longer so that's why it gets harder to let them go.